Monday, January 21, 2008

Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Last Speech

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered this speech in support of the striking sanitation workers at Mason Temple in Memphis, TN on April 3, 1968. I feel his concluding remarks were in support of a higher cause, sharing his premonition that his mortal journey was soon to end. I find them powerful and triumphant, especially considering that he gave them — the day before he was assassinated.

Can you even imagine what life must've been like for him on this day. Knowing full well the threats against his mission, family, and own life. Could he possibly have known the full extent of his influence or the impact that his words, leadership, and "dream" had on the American people and the World.

Although you were imperfect, I salute you Dr.King, and consider all that you have done for the cause of FREEDOM a great miracle.


To turn off the music go to music player on the right side of my blog and click on the pause button in the left hand corner.

8 comments:

JAMIE said...

Martin (Dr.) King, Dr. King HE HAD (with two syllables A dream!!!

Unknown said...

Sara, I love your sensitivities. I know that the Lord watches us and how we treat our brothers. The black question brings to mind just how much inequality can reign in the minds of one race or another for centuries. I had sought for the cause of the Civil war. I finally found an answer visiting Abraham Lincoln in Washington (his monument) and reading his 2nd inagural address. I leave it for all to discover.
Dr. King believed in the constitution and I wonder what he saw when he said "the promised land." I was born a few years before he died and it was a troubled time for the United States and especially the South. You would have thought we learned something from the Civil War.

RaeLynn said...

Sara--I am so glad that you posted this. Yesterday was just another day to me, until I read this. It makes me want to learn more about Martin Luther King and his life. What a man.

Clean Cut said...

It was 1963 when Dr. King gave his "I have a dream speech" and in which he said: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character". Sometimes I wonder about how far we've come since 1963 and about how far we still have to go. Are we still judging each other based on the color of our skin, or by what's on the inside--our character? It's a question worth asking, a quote worth quoting, and a dream worth making more of reality today.

Kelli W. said...

Help Sara! How do I listen to your posted video without the background music on your blog? Is there a trick to turn it off during the video? Sorry for my incompetence! Love reading your thoughts.

H-less said...

K-dub and others: How annoying to not be able to turn off the music to see the clip (or just not listen to the tunes). Yes, you can turn off the music on the blog, sorry about that. Scroll down to the bottom of my blog where the music playlist is and you will see a pause sign. Hope that helps. Next time I post a video I will turn off the music beforehand.

The Dutkiewicz Family said...

One time, in the BYU bookstore, I bought a book of all of MLK's speeches.

H-less said...

What a great collection to have! Nothing like that good ol' BYU bookstore.