Friday, February 15, 2008

"One Of These Things Is Not Like The Other"



So Wednesday night Hillary Clinton came to San Antonio. I am not a Hillary fan, yet I couldn't pass up the opportunity to be in on the action. So Sally, Morzy and I ventured down to that south side of town "In an effort to educate ourselves and be a part of history in the making...braved the westside streets of San Antonio, uncomfortably drove through a throng of protesters with pictures of aborted babies[giving our acknowledgment that we were on their side], strutted our stuff by the press hoping to get interviewed, and cut in line in front of a fraternity of college kids that were just happy not to be carrying a baby--all to see Hillary Clinton in person"(Sally's blog)

It was a strange feeling being there. I was anxious to share my opinion and rose out of my seat and "cheered wildly-- to the consternation of all around --when one of the pre-Hillary speakers asked if there were any Republicans in the house!"(Sally)

The introducers "would get everyone excited and cheering, so as to let Hillary know that 'Texas is Clinton Country' and then nothing would happen. After about 23 times of the roaring excitement ending in disillusionment, her real entrance was a bit anti-climatic."(Sally)

I'll spare you the details of what she said. If you've watched her on TV at all, you've heard it.



Most of it I disagreed with, some sounded nice but has slim chance of coming to fruition. She was very political, playing to her different audience of voters. While I don't think she is evil(or at least I hardly know her well enough to decide that) I was even more convinced that she wouldn't lead the country in the direction I hope for.
Kamorah and I were on the same page with Clinton's speach, bored.

It was a bit of a conflicting feeling being there. At one point Hillary looked at me, Kamorah now asleep on my hip, and I know we made eye contact. Do you think she could've sensed my disagreance?


I must've stuck out, non-hispanic young gal with the only baby in the room, not smiling or nodding like everyone else, obviously unimpressed. While I felt like I was a cougar fan in a sea of Utes, I was filled with a sense of gratitude for the system. We live in a true democracy. A country that honors the gift and MIRACLE OF AGENCY with all it's accompanying benefits or downfalls. I felt the sense of how differently people think. What may seems so obvious to one person, another is oblivious to. And yet how similar we are. Sincerely concerned for our future and the direction of the country. Unexpectedly, I felt a bit happy for those enthusiasts that have found a voice in Hillary. No matter how much I may disagree with them. Again unfortunate for myself that the political voice I found to represent my views is no longer available. (Can we put our cards back in, shuffle and re-draw?). And even in the bleak alternatives, I have hope in America. Hope in the people.

I was happy when she was done talking. We lingered, taking it all in, hoping again that some media type might want to talk with a few "non-believers". One reporter did, but mostly just because she thought Kamorah was cute.

For now, I'm unfavorably voting McCain, although I am convinced Obama will win.

And I happily exercise my agency, thankful to live in a land where I can make my decisions for myself.

13 comments:

JAMIE said...

I wish you would go with me when you lived here to stuff like that...amazing what texas brings out of you!

H-less said...

No presidential candidate has come to Utah when I have been there and aware of where and when. I wish, but Utah is just not campaign country. It's sad how little is done there. Even if they were an early state, I don't thin they'd get much attention because of their historically republican, low delegate count reputation. You know I've just been dying to vote and so It's fun to think that Texas really matters right now, at least for the democrats...we're getting all these advertisements and things on tv., vists, etc... eat that you super Tuesday voters! :)

Chris & Stephanie said...

Wow, what an experience! Glad you were open-minded enough to go (sorry it probably wasn't worth the effort). ;o) We really don't get that kind of attention in good 'ole OrE-gone either - I guess we're not important enough! It will be very crazy to see what happens in November.

JAMIE said...

That's not what I meant...i will tell you later...

Steve Cook said...

Oh my goodness Sara -- I watched that clip you did and absolutely had to comment because it was pure awesome!! It reminded me how much I miss you guys -- I can't wait to (hopefully) see you guys in March!

I'm so tempted to leave this post as Anonymous -- I've been busting ever since you, Jamie (and even Kaylie) did the anonymous game from a while ago!!

Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Seriously, whats with that almost naked guy in that picture -- somebody needs to tell him that this is a family website. Either that, or to just like, put a shirt on or something. Love the clip!

rachel said...

Good for you for going. It's still an experience not everyone gets.
I saw her "dear husband" YEARS and YEARS ago as a student at the University of Oregon. Oh the memories... :)

Sally F said...

Rachel, I bet we were at the same rally! In '92? The Crazy 8's were there and Bill played the sax? It was at Mac Court? How funny! I don't think I knew you yet then.

I kept saying at this recent rally that I wished Hillary at least played the sax or something. It was just kinda funny how all the excitement built up and then during her actual talk we were just a tad bored!

We're gonna go see Obama and McCain, too, if they come through, right?!

RaeLynn said...

Wow--you are brave...and much less judgmental than I am. I would have wanted to sneak in a paint ball gun, and make a picaso out of her.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous-
Now I don't think that was very loving. For all you know the guy couldn't afford a shirt. Maybe you should think before you go and judge someone next time.

Amanda said...

What a great opportunity to make sure you're truly informed. I think, especially with the 2 little ones, I would not have even attempted to head over there and be part of it all. I'm sure Hillary was SHOCKED that there was even a mother in the crowd, since she's not much for moms in the first place. Just by being there and being you, you were standing for something great! Way to go! :)

Unknown said...

Well that was brave. interesting I'm sure to see the process. I think we have some very challenging times ahead of us. Reviewing the civil war and our payment for slavery, I wonder what our payment for abortion will be or lack or repect for gender differences. Everyone talks about choice as if it were free. No one seems to understand that there might be consequences. It is not just what we immediately want. With some of our choices we are in danger of losing all that remains dear to us. So while we hold the freedom of choice so high perhaps we should also remember justice will bring consequence. In other words it isn't just about choice.

NM said...

Woohoo! Lovin' the Jack Johnson track! =D Ah, memories...