Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Spending My Time... Good Better Best


How rewarding it is to feel that you have used all the hours in a day productively. I have had such days these past few. I feel so invigorated...keeping the worthwhile, simple and essential things in my days and clearing out some of the clutter. A sort of spring cleaning from a few of the messy time wasters I've had looming around. Out with the good things, on with the BEST!

"Most of us have more things expected of us than we can possibly do...we face many choices on what we will do with our time and other resources. We should begin by recognizing the reality that just because something is good is not a sufficient reason for doing it. The number of good things we can do far exceeds the time available to accomplish them. Some things are better than good, and these are the things that should command priority attention in our lives.
ie:good to hold a meeting, better to teach a principle, but best to actually improve lives as a result of the meeting." (Dallin H. Oaks, “Good, Better, Best,” Liahona, Nov 2007, 104–8)

I have felt such spiritual encouragement as I've tried to refocus my days, and that has been a miracle for me.

Onto another day of sifting... to spend my time doing what is better than good. Even if that includes the dishes, again. :D

3 comments:

Amanda said...

That's something that has been on my mind, too. With spring being here, I throw open the windows, let the sun shine in and get to work on the BEST things for me to do that day...most days. :) I'm still trying to learn what the best really is for me. Is a nap the best things some days? Or, should I just buck up and fold the laundry?

Brianne & Jarod said...

Amazingly my OCD is starting to take backseat to BEST activities...like playing with Isaac. (That or I try to make whatever I am doing into a game for him.)Reading your blog is sometimes like taking in a breath of fresh air..THANKS GIRL!

janet said...

I have really been struggling with this lately... or maybe for the past year or so. I just can't seem to get my act together. I know I am doing a lot of good things during the day, but they are not the BEST. I love that talk by Elder Oaks and need to read it again tonight. Thanks for the encouragement. It's been a long time since I went to bed feeling like I did the most important things first.