Saturday, February 23, 2008

A Reminder: The Challenge to Become


My brothers (sorry you were on your mission for the wedding Jake) have recently inspired me in my personal challenge to become. I have learned so much by watching them and listening to their experiences of coming closer to Christ. Something they shared today reminded me of these wonderful words from Elder Oaks about our greatest challenge.

"In contrast to the institutions of the world, which teach us to know something, the gospel of Jesus Christ challenges us to become something...

Now is the time for each of us to work toward our personal conversion, toward becoming what our Heavenly Father desires us to become. As we do so, we should remember that our family relationships—even more than our Church callings—are the setting in which the most important part of that development can occur. The conversion we must achieve requires us to be a good husband and father or a good wife and mother. Being a successful Church leader is not enough. Exaltation is an eternal family experience, and it is our mortal family experiences that are best suited to prepare us for it.

Our needed conversions are often achieved more readily by suffering and adversity than by comfort and tranquillity, as Elder Hales taught us so beautifully this morning. Father Lehi promised his son Jacob that God would “consecrate [his] afflictions for [his] gain” (2 Ne. 2:2). The Prophet Joseph was promised that “thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; and then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high” (D&C 121:7–8).
...persons who are proceeding toward the needed conversion are beginning to see things as our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, see them. They are hearing His voice instead of the voice of the world, and they are doing things in His way instead of by the ways of the world." (Dallin H. Oaks, “The Challenge to Become,” Ensign, Nov 2000, 32–34)

These words motivate me, encourage me. This challenge to become, to change ourselves-surely a lifelong process, but today I am a processing and I am going to keep on the challenge! Thank you to my giving brothers for the reminder. I consider it a miracle to have such influences on earth to REMIND us, even unknowingly, what it is we are striving for. I need them.

Because...tomorrow I just may forget.
That dang veil.

4 comments:

JAMIE said...

I love that pic----I love the post---the bros really are great

Clean Cut said...

One of my favorite talks, or one of the talks that I have most thought about since it was given.

H-less said...

count on you two, count on you two!

love you both

Rebecca said...

What a challenge! You are surrounded by some wonderful family! How blessed you must feel. I just love the inspired councel of our leaders. They are truly God's servants and truly love us to share and council us in this way. Knowing that the refiners fire is the only way to "Become" what our Father wants us to be helps strengthen and give hope for me and so many others. Thank you again for sharing a part of your desires and quests in life. Truly inspiring!